Here at Powell's Heating and Cooling, we strive to give our customers honest and quality services. We believe in educating the customer about our services and working within their budget to give them the best comfort possible. We are a family owned and operated business that has a passion for working with individuals and businesses to ensure they receive professional, yet friendly and trusting experience when dealing with their HVAC-R needs.
We can offer a variety of brands and efficiencies that suits our customers wants and needs, as well as assisting them with finding the right financing option or HEAP assistance to ensure they receive the comfort they need. Our customers' comfort and safety is top priority here at Powell's Heating and Cooling.
Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions
What is preventative maintenance and why is it important?
One of the best things Western New York area homeowners and business owners can do to keep their heating and cooling units healthy is to have regular HVAC preventive maintenance performed by a professional technician. This should be done twice a year, once before the heating season and once before the cooling season.
During preventive maintenance, a technician will inspect and evaluate your unit and make any needed adjustments and repairs. There are many benefits to having this done, and we’ve listed four of the best ones below.
Top 4 benefits of HVAC preventive maintenance
- 1. Save energy- A lot can happen to your heating and cooling units over time that prevents them from performing efficiently. When a technician inspects your units, he or she will ensure that they are running as smoothly and efficiently as possible, which will cut down on the amount of energy they use.
- 2. Avoid unnecessary repairs- When you have HVAC preventive maintenance twice a year, you can stop problems to your units before they start. This will minimize the amount of times you have to call a contractor to come to your home and make repairs.
- 3. Keep your home safe- If you have a gas furnace there is a chance that carbon monoxide can leak into your air. When performing preventive maintenance, a technician can identify safety risks such as a cracked heat exchanger and fix any problems before they pose a threat.
- 4. Extend the life of your unit- One of the best benefits of HVAC preventive maintenance is that it will extend the life of your heating and cooling systems. Just like oil changes and tune-ups keep your car in good shape and yearly check –ups to the doctor keeps us healthy, preventive maintenance will keep your heating and cooling units healthy for years to come.
What is the benefit of an on-demand hot water heater?
An on-demand hot water tank or tankless water heater is much more efficient than your traditional hot water tank, which requires the most energy than any other equipment in your home. So, by switching over to on-demand you not only save energy and money, but you are able to receive an endless supply of hot water!
- Space Saver- These tankless water heaters are wonderful for small apartments, homes with limited space, or condos because there isn’t such a large tank taking up much needed storage spaces.
- Better water- With the traditional hot water tanks water is stored over time waiting to heat up and be used, causing the sediment in the tank to build up over time. In return causing the water we drink and bathe with to become contaminated. Upgrading to the tankless water heater will offer cleaner, tastier water because the water arrives and is heated, then quickly dispersed to its destination.
- Eco-Friendly- People are becoming more and more environmental conscience every day and are looking for ways to do their part as home owners not to add to the pollution problems. Wel,l the old traditional water tanks waste energy by continuously keeping a whole tank of water heated even when you do not have the faucets on. This causes a ton of waste with all the unused heated water. With the on-demand hot water tank there is no more waste. When you turn on a faucet only the water you need is heated. Also, the on-demand water heaters are made with recyclable material, unlike your traditional water tanks.
- Money Saver- Initially when installing a new on-demand hot water heater it costs more than the traditional water tank. But there are ways that it saves you money in the long haul. An on-demand water heater can increase the value of your home, so when you are looking to sell and get the best price for your home, an on-demand hot water heater could be a great selling point. They also last 20 years, that’s twice as long as the traditional water tank. When you install a new on-demand hot water heater you can get help with the installation costs by receiving rebates from your local gas company, as well as saving up to 40% on you monthly gas bill, you could receive a federal tax credit, and we offer financing so you do not have to have all the money up front.
Should I get a high efficency furnace?
A high efficiency isn’t just an upgrade or luxury system for your home. Replacing a lower efficiency furnace with a high efficiency one actually holds many benefits. The difference between the two is the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. This rating lets you know how much fuel is being used and expelled from your furnace. So, if there is an AFUE rating of 92 percent then your furnace is using 92 percent of its fuel and expelling 8 percent as exhaust. Anywhere between a 90 to 97 percent AFUE rating is considered high efficiency.
- Energy Saver- With high efficiency gas furnaces there is no pilot light, which constantly runs. Instead there is an electric ignitor that only turns on when it is being used. Therefore, decreasing the amount of wasted energy from the low efficiency furnace.
- Money Saver- Although high efficiency furnaces are a little more on the pricey side, there are many different ways to save money so you are able to experience the benefits of a higher efficiency furnace. you local gas companies may offer rebates for installing higher efficiency furnaces because it is eco-friendly. They save you money in the long run for being energy savers. With your furnace only running when needed there is no need for the extra fuel to keep it running when it is not in use, which lowers your fuel bill. We also offer financing if youre in a finacial hardship, we also can assist in requesting assistance from HEAP.
- It’s Safer- With high efficiency furnaces there is regulated airflow making the combustion process safer. With the electric ignitor there is less time for combustion.
Benefits of a ductless air-conditioner?
A ductless air conditioner, also known as min splits, are powerful wall mounted air conditioning and heating systems. It is connected to a condenser out side so the indoor unit can be small, quiet, and sleek. Mini splits are used to cool down or heat up rooms that your air conditioner or furnace does not efficiently adjust. They can be used in any room including, offices, apartment buildings, or odd rooms in the house. You can use them for just one room or you can use for up to 8 rooms per outside condenser.
- Comfort in odd rooms- The mini split offers instant heating or cooling in any room that is difficult to cool or heat. Works when in a home office to offset the heat from computers, printers, ect. Or even a home gym to make sure the environment is just right.
- Quiet systems- These systems are so quiet, you don’t even know they are there. Perfect for an office, recording studio, or even a sun room to give you a nice quiet reading area. Unlike window units that can be very loud, these systems will give you can give you comfort without all the noise.
- Cleaner Air- These mini splits have filters inside of them that continuously freshens and removes any partials in the air. Then uses its pump to push that filtered air back in the room while removing the old air.
- Customized Options: The systems are small and sleek and can be places anywhere on the wall or ceiling so that it is out of site. If you have drop ceilings, the mini split can be hidden by being flesh mounted into the ceiling. You can even have it painted to match your décor.
- Money Saver- Because these units are ductless you receive 100% of their output, unlike central air that needs to run trough the ducts before ever reaching its destination where you are losing 30% of the output. Also saves you money because it only heats and cools the area that you need. We also offer financing here at Powell’s Heating and Cooling.
Benefits of a high efficiency boiler?
Boilers use heated water or steam to heat your home through baseboard heating or radiant flooring. Like other heating systems, boilers can also be high efficiency, saving you tons of money in the long run. A side from just saving you money they also have some other benefits as well, when you are considering a replacement for your boiler.
- Smaller in size- The higher efficiency boilers are smaller than the older models, leaving more room for storage, or a good space saver for smaller homes.
- Eco-Friendly and Smarter- The older models are either running on full force or not at all, causing there to be a lot of extra waste, more damage to the environment, and extra wear and tear. With the newer high efficiency boilers, they can work on the intensity you set them to because they are equipped with smarter technology, leaving less room for extra waste and minimizing the wear and tear on your unit.
- Money Saver- With a higher efficiency boiler you save a ton on your utility bills because it is running when needed, at the intensity you need. There is also less need for maintenance on newer boilers, costing you less on repairs in the future. Adding a new high efficiency boiler also adds value to your home, if you decide to resell. There also may be rebates that help with the initial installation costs, as well as the financing options we offer.
Benefits of a Wi-fi/Smart thermostat?
Using a smart thermostat is the new trend among homeowners that can actually save you lots of money on your energy costs! As well as having some other benefits that make the higher initial cost to install, that much cheaper.
- No human error- Smart thermostats are just that, Smart. They can learn your schedule and preferences and adjust your heating and cooling to your comfort level. It can even sense when you are not home, so you no longer have to worry if you turned your heating or cooling down to save on that utility bill or not.
- Assessable outside the home- Whether on vacation, working a double at work, or owning a second home, you can always check and manage what your heating and cooling systems are doing. Or even if you want to adjust the temperature before you get home, you can simply use your mobile device to adjust it.
- Money saver- When you install a WI-fi/Smart thermostat your utility company may offer a rebate that can help lower your installation costs. Also over the long run, having a Smart thermostat helps save on monthly utility bills by reducing unnecessary running of your heating and cooling systems. If you are unable to have the money up front, we also offer financing.